Thursday, November 12, 2009

It's True After All

Aren't those classic devotionals resting on the shelf above your
friend's grandparents' guest toilet irritating? Don't you find them
hard to read without holding the author in derision? They wrote in
such grand style. Whatever.

Peradventure upon reading from one consistently your opinion may change.
That depending, of course, on the sincerity of the author and the
doctrinal validity of the content.

If you're like me you wouldn't even pick up a book that lived so near a
potty unless a fine layer of dust lay upon the cover of the work.
Fortunately (and unfortunately), most people who put that type of literature
in the bathroom don't actually read the above-toilet lavatory copy (I have found).

After many years of loathing Mr. Chambers' Opus, I have read it occasionally
along with Spurgeon's Morning and Evening (the one I've always liked) for a time now. After some reflection I realized that his (Oswald's) writings have always irritated me because
false converts always love "My Utmost" (for at least two months) and
furthermore I don't believe in him; I don't believe he actually lived
as wonderfully as he wrote.
Well how could he? And what does it matter that the false moth seeks a lit candle. I'm an idiot, sometimes.

So now I read "My Utmost For His Highest" every now and then. Especially
dusty copies in other people's bathrooms.
Still sometimes it's a little too dramatic, even for me; but I
love Oswald.
I wonder if we would have gotten along on a thirty-six hour bus ride
across some bland chunk of North America, sitting next to one another
and having to share a single armrest.

I wonder if the person who arrives, after my departure, unto the Sanctuary-of-the-Loo will be encouraged by the tracks of my fingers in the silt to crack open the pleather-bound day-helper; or will they ignore the volume further?



No comments: